New Coin Marks BREXIT Decision in Silver


The vote is in and it looks like Britain is out. On June 23rd, 2016, the United Kingdom held a historic referendum in which they chose to leave the European Union.

The divisive vote was decided by the thinest of margins, but when the final count was in the results stood at 51.9% in favour of leaving and 48.1% who wanted to remain a part of the EU. In response to the results British Prime Minister David Cameron, who campaigned in favour of remaining a part of the EU, announced that he would resign after essentialist losing the popular vote on this important issue.

Cook Islands 2016 1Dollar BREXIT Silver Coin Reverse

Cook Islands 2016 1Dollar BREXIT Silver Coin Reverse

In order to mark this landmark event the Cook Islands are releasing a special commemorative silver one dollar coin. The coin celebrating contemporary European history is minted using Coin Invest Trust's 'smartminting' technology. This process allows sharp relief proof coins to be minted on surprisingly thin silver blanks.

The reverse of the coin features an outline map of most of western Europe on the right. To the left is an enlarged outline of the United Kingdom that has been selectively colourized using the colours of  the Union Jack. “JUNE 23,2016” is inscribed along the rim to the left, with a curved arrow pointing in a clockwise direction. In large letters at the very top of the reverse design of this coin the word “BREXIT” appears.

Cook Islands 2016 1Dollar BREXIT Silver Coin Obverse

Cook Islands 2016 1Dollar BREXIT Silver Coin Obverse

The obverse features the right facing, crowned Ian Rank-Broadley effigy, who's initial “IRB” appear in small letters just below the portrait, of HM Queen Elizabeth II. The obverse legend indicated the denomination, country and date  of issue and reads: “ELIZABETH II”, “1 DOLLAR”, “COOK ISLANDS” and “2016” in a clockwise rotation along the rim.

The coin measures 26mm and is minted from a delicate 3grams of pure .999 Fineness silver, utilizing CIT's smartminting technology. The silver commemorative coin has a special limited mintage of only 2016 coins total. The coin should be available from most international coin dealers and looks set to retail at around US$39.95 each.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.